La Liga, Highlights RCD Espanyol vs FC Barcelona (2-2), Jan 4, 2020
Yahoo Sports, Barca strike was planned, says Wu Lei as China hails Espanyol hero, Thomas ALLNUTT, Peter STEBBINGS, Jan. 5, 2020
- Wu earned Espanyol a dramatic 2-2 draw at the RCDE Stadium after he fired in an 88th-minute equaliser to salvage a point in the all-Catalan clash of La Liga's top against bottom.
- "I am very happy, not just because I scored but because of that assist," Wu told Espanyol TV. "When we were warming up, Matias told me he was going to put me in with a through ball. After 10 minutes he played one to me and I scored."
- With the scoresheet reading 2-1 in favour of Barcelona, Wu Lei grabbed a late equalizer in the 88th minute to draw the game for the hosts at the Estadi Cornella-El Prat stadium in Spain.
- Barcelona remain at the top of the 2019-20 La Liga points table, with 40 points from 19 matches (12 wins, 4 draws, 3 defeats). Second-placed Real Madrid also have 40 points from 19 matches (11 wins, 7 draws, 1 defeat).
South China Morning Post, China star Wu Lei’s Barcelona goal makes history and gives Espanyol vital La Liga point, Jonathan White, 5 Jan, 2020
- Equaliser ‘watched by one billion’ as media attention reaches fever pitch following late strike in derby.
- Outpouring of emotion from fans on social media after Wu becomes first Chinese player to score against Barcelona.
- The goal marked a historic first for Chinese football as Wu became the first player from China to score against Barcelona in any competition.
- One fan in the stadium grabbed global attention as he was celebrating Wu’s equaliser despite wearing a Barcelona shirt.
- The goal made headlines in China and Spain, while “Wu Lei goal” was the most searched team on Weibo – a rarity for a sports story. Chinese and Spanish media posted the photograph of Wu as a teenager posing with Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero when he was a ball boy for the Argentina team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.