Pelinka and the Lakers will soon have to decide if they want to tether the franchise to Davis; Davis and James; or to Davis and a third star such as Giannis Antetokounmpo.
The Lakers will soon make a decision that will have major ramifications on the playoff roster and the immediate future of the team. So, it’s a good thing Rob Pelinka is behind the wheel. This week, Anthony Davis turned down the Lakers’ extension offer, an expected move that gives Davis far more financial opportunity to make more this summer and beyond.
- Still, numerous dominoes are now being stacked up one after another.
- Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus explains how things are unfolding with an aging James.
“James is under contract for two more seasons, although he can opt out before July 2021 and would then be eligible to sign at roughly $142 million for three years,” Pincus writes. “Or he could just finish his deal and hit free agency with Davis in 2022, assuming Davis follows the path laid out above.”
- Davis is set to make $266 million over the next five seasons or $339 million over the next seven if he plays things correctly, according to Pincus.
Forbes, As NBA Trade Deadline Nears, The Lakers’ Rob Pelinka Suddenly Looks Like A Genius, Gabe Zaldivar, Jan. 10, 2020.
Anthony Davis rejected an extension with the Los Angeles Lakers. Time to panic! Not really.
The 26-year-old will finish the 2019-20 season with eight years of service. Two more and he'll be eligible for the highest salary tier (35 percent of the cap). He could choose to sign a three-year, $112.8 million contract with a player option for the final season, allowing him to hit free agency once again in 2022.
- That's Davis' best path if he wants to maximize his income. His next deal would potentially be in the $266 million range over five seasons for a seven-year total of roughly $339 million.
- The challenge for the Lakers is making sure they have the talent to support him given that James just turned 35 years old and may not be the same player as he nears his 40s.
Bleacher Report, Next Anthony Davis Deal Must Factor in Aging LeBron, Another Potential Megastar, Eric Pincus, Jan. 8, 2020.
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario
Bienvenidos todos los comentarios respetuosos.