Cada vez que en una industria deportiva aparece un prodigio se celebra de forma alborazada. Coco Gauff es una tenista estadounidense de 15 años que reúne tanto el talento como el comportamiento de una deportista fuera de serie. La industria del tenis está maravillada. Los medios, particularmente los estadounidenses, la llenan de elogios extraordinarios mientras siguen su camino de tenista fuera de serie. Acaba de vencer en la primera ronda del "Australian Open" a Venus Williams, una fabulosa tenista con una enorme experiencia ganadora de 7 "Grand Slams". Paso a paso Coco va dejando su huella de fuera de serie.
AFP, Gauff, 15, stuns Venus in Australian Open first round, Jan. 20, 2020.
Fifteen-year-old American Coco Gauff beat Venus Williams at the Australian Open on Monday -- the second time the teenager has dumped the veteran out in a Grand Slam first round. Gauff, ranked 67 in the world and a fast-rising star in tennis, similarly defeated the seven-time Grand Slam winner in the first round last year at Wimbledon.
- Gauff surged into the second round in Melbourne with a 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 victory over the 39-year-old and will play unseeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea next.
- She went on to win her first WTA title in October in Linz, Austria.
ESPN, Coco Gauff beats Venus Williams in first round | 2020 Australian Open Highlights, Jan. 20, 2020.
In her Australian Open debut, Coco Gauff battles Venus Williams in a tough first set but holds on 7-6. Then cruises in the second set 6-3 for the straight-sets win and her first career Australian Open win.
CNN, Coco Gauff defeats Venus Williams at Australian Open as Federer, Osaka and Serena also win, George Ramsay, Jan. 20, 2020.
Teenager Coco Gauff defeated seven-time grand slam champion Venus Williams 7-6 6-3 in the first round of the Australian Open on Monday, a rematch of the 15-year-old's grand slam debut at Wimbledon last year.
- "I just want to say thank you guys, you guys were chanting my name and I only thought that would happen at the US Open," Gauff said to the crowd on Margaret Court Arena following her victory.
"To hear that here in Australia means a lot to me."
Yahoo Sports, 'My mission was to win': Coco tops Venus at Australian Open, Ap, Jan. 20, 2020.
Gauff, 15, played Williams, 39, to begin her first appearance in the main draw at Melbourne Park, just like they matched up to start things off at Wimbledon about six months ago. And, just like at the All England Club, the youngest woman in the field got the better of the oldest woman in the field, with Gauff beating Williams 7-6 (5), 6-3 on Monday.
- ''I definitely was more confident this time. I think I was used to playing on big courts, so the crowd - I guess the size of the crowd didn't startle me as much as last time,'' Gauff said. ''Definitely a bit more positive coming into this match.''
- Gauff already has demonstrated all sorts of terrific qualities on a tennis court, from her big, gutsy serves to an ability to track down opponents' shots. Now you can add stick-to-it-iveness to the list.
Time, Coco Gauff, 15, Just Beat Venus Williams in the 1st Round Again, Howard Fendrich / AP, Jan. 20, 2020.
The match was held in Margaret Court Arena, one of three stadiums with a retractable roof, and that was a good thing. For all of the concern among some players entering the tournament about air quality because of wildfires burning in parts of the country, the big issue Monday was a heavy storm that arrived in the afternoon and suspended play on outside courts for hours.
- Neither player displayed her absolute best abilities for stretches: They combined for far more unforced errors, 71, than winners, 42. One key was that Williams ended up with 41 of those miscues, 11 more than Gauff.
No hay comentarios.:
Publicar un comentario
Bienvenidos todos los comentarios respetuosos.