AFP, Gauff, 15, stuns Venus in Australian Open first round, Jan. 20, 2020.
- Gauff surged into the second round in Melbourne with a 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 victory over the 39-year-old and will play unseeded Romanian Sorana Cirstea next.
- She went on to win her first WTA title in October in Linz, Austria.
ESPN, Coco Gauff beats Venus Williams in first round | 2020 Australian Open Highlights, Jan. 20, 2020.
In her Australian Open debut, Coco Gauff battles Venus Williams in a tough first set but holds on 7-6. Then cruises in the second set 6-3 for the straight-sets win and her first career Australian Open win.
CNN, Coco Gauff defeats Venus Williams at Australian Open as Federer, Osaka and Serena also win, George Ramsay, Jan. 20, 2020.
- "I just want to say thank you guys, you guys were chanting my name and I only thought that would happen at the US Open," Gauff said to the crowd on Margaret Court Arena following her victory.
"To hear that here in Australia means a lot to me."
Yahoo Sports, 'My mission was to win': Coco tops Venus at Australian Open, Ap, Jan. 20, 2020.
- ''I definitely was more confident this time. I think I was used to playing on big courts, so the crowd - I guess the size of the crowd didn't startle me as much as last time,'' Gauff said. ''Definitely a bit more positive coming into this match.''
- Gauff already has demonstrated all sorts of terrific qualities on a tennis court, from her big, gutsy serves to an ability to track down opponents' shots. Now you can add stick-to-it-iveness to the list.
Time, Coco Gauff, 15, Just Beat Venus Williams in the 1st Round Again, Howard Fendrich / AP, Jan. 20, 2020.
- Neither player displayed her absolute best abilities for stretches: They combined for far more unforced errors, 71, than winners, 42. One key was that Williams ended up with 41 of those miscues, 11 more than Gauff.